Special Mailing Services
Guidelines for Utilizing Courier Mail
University Mail Services (UMS) can help campus customers prepare their mailing so they are able to lower their postage cost. Much of the work should be done prior to printing the mail piece. The choices you make regarding these items will affect the final per-piece postage cost.
If you have already printed and completed the mailing and would like help in sorting the mail pieces in ZIP code order, or if you have already sorted the mail pieces in ZIP code order and need to have it processed and sent to the Post Office, please fill out the Bulk Mail Request Form and submit it to UMS.
- This permit is a prepaid postage account, funded by the Mail Services department.
- This permit has a limited amount of funds.
- Since Mail Services pays for the cost of these mailings up front, we need ample notice to guarantee that there are enough funds on the permit to cover the cost of your mailing and the cost of all other scheduled mailings.
- Unexpected mailings from a department will deplete the permit of its funds, halting all other scheduled mailings.
- In order to deposit additional funds on to the permit, Mail Services must request additional funding which can take more than a week. It is important that we are given ample notice of all bulk mailings and their costs.
- Fee per piece of mail: $0.03 (three cents)
- Bulk mailings must consist of at least 200 pieces.
- All mail pieces must be submitted in ZIP code order, by the first three digits.
- All mail pieces must be uniform in content.
- Bulk Mail is not recommended for time-sensitive mail.
- Since postage is so heavily discounted, the delivery time is longer than First Class Mail.
- Mail pieces cannot contain personal monetary account information.
- Mail pieces must have either an ancillary endorsement on the envelope or the words CURRENT RESIDENT OR above the recipient’s name to inform the USPS what you want to do with misaddressed mail pieces.
- Misaddressed mail pieces with an ancillary endorsement are charged a per piece fee and returned to the sender.
- Misaddressed mail pieces with the words CURRENT RESIDENT OR above the recipient’s name are not returned to the sender or charged a fee and instead are recycled by the USPS.
If you have not yet printed the mail piece and need help with making sure you receive all the postage discounts available to you, please contact UMS.
Details to consider that impact postage cost before printing your bulk mail job:
- Address cleansing
- Address placement
- Ancillary endorsement
- Fold Placement
Business Reply Mail (BRM) allows a mailer (i.e., department, business unit or researcher) to distribute pre-printed, First Class Mail reply pieces to customers. The mailer, not the customer, pays the return postage. The mailer does not prepay postage on Business Reply Mail; the mailer will only pay postage for BRM that is sent back by the recipient. This allows mailers to save postage costs on large volumes of distributed reply pieces when a response is not assured.
Guidelines For Utilizing BRM at UNC
BRM is subject to strict standards for format, markings, and addressing and is regulated on the UNC campus by University Mail Services. For assistance with mailpiece design questions, review of your mailpieces, or creating BRM please contact UMS.
- This form requires a valid chartfield string to be completed. Please note that anytime your chartfield string expires or your fund runs out, a new Business Reply Request must be submitted in order to receive your returned BRM pieces.
- The return address and the size of the piece to be printed are also required. If you already have envelopes and would just like a label or an updated QR code, please specify in the Business Reply Request Form.